Garlic soup with tortellini
Long popular as a seasoning, garlic is now showing up more and more as a principal ingredient. as in this light soup. Slow cooking modifies the garlic's assertiveness.
- 1 head garlic
- 1 teaspoon salad oil
- 6 cups 1.4 liters low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 package fresh low-fat or regular cheese ravioli or tortellini
- 3 tablespoons each finely chopped red bell pepper and green onions
- 1/4 teaspoon Oriental sesame oil
Elaboración paso a paso
- Peel garlic, thinly slice cloves. Heat salad oil in nonstick frying pan over medium-low heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring often, until golden brown (about 10 minutes, do not scorch), if pan appears dry or garlic sticks to pan bottom, stir in water, 1 tablespon at a time.
- Meanwhile, bring broth to a boil in a 4- to 5-quart pan over high heat. When garlic is done, pour about 1/2 cup of the broth into frying pan, stirring to loosen browned bits. Return garlic mixture to broth, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Separating any ravioli that are stuck together, add pasta to broth. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring occasionally, just until pasta is tender to bite (4 to 6 minutes, or acording to package directions).
- Add bell pepper, onions, adn if desired, sesame oil and cook just until heated through (about 2 minutes). Garnish with cilantro. Makes 6 servings.